Mallory’s Listening Journal

This week I listened to my regular lineup of true crime and entertainment podcasts along with the first episode of Chameleon: Wild Boys, which was a recommendation in the Mattermost “Now Playing” chat. My listening preferences tend to veer mainly toward co-host conversational formats (ex. The Friendship Onion) and solo narrative storytelling (ex. Someone Knows Something, Chameleon: Wild Boys). The conventions in podcasts that I admire and wish to incorporate into my own co-hosted conversational project are: a snappy intro and smooth transitions, recurring segments to ground the episodes in familiar format, a feature topic discussion, and concise editing to eliminate unnecessary rambling. My bandmate and I are actively recording segments to build future episodes of our podcast project, so I’m looking critically at how best to capture and package our output. I’ve got a second podcast idea in the wings that will be a solo-narrative format, and I look forward to applying the concepts from this course to that idea eventually. Happy listening folks!

1 comment

1. I love listening to solo-narrative because it is so absorbing, but I also find the idea of undertaking one daunting! I hope you’ll keep up posted. 🙂